I recently had this big “aha” moment where I realized for all these years of art-making I’ve always downplayed my drawing.
In the back of my mind, drawing had to be for planning, idea development, and was ultimately a way to start a painting.
This was despite the fact that I fill my Instagram feed with artists who draw. Oof. It goes to show we all hold unspoken, subconscious beliefs and definitions about what art is and isn’t.
Today let’s look at
- how to create texture using a pen,
- one technique that can absolutely create a smooth gradation of value, and
- an artist who draws and uses pen in her art to create hyper-realistic art.
Links I mention in today’s conversation:
Now it’s your turn, tell me either:
(1) the name of an artist who draws and inspires you or
(2) how you create smooth transitions or gradations of value in your drawings?